Check Hood River's Immigration Counseling Services Facebook Page for Local Information Sessions and other Events
Know Your Rights
Rural Organizing Project
- The average DACA recipient is 26 and came to the US at age 6. They are our friends and our neighbors. They are American. They chose to trust the government and now that information could be used against them. But if you fight, they are Here to Stay.
- 800k Dreamers in America, 17,800 in WA. 95% are currently working or in school, 63% got a better paying job, 54% bought their first car, 48% got a job with better working conditions, 12% bought their first home, 90% have a driver’s license or state ID. They are screened for criminal records, and ineligible for ACA or welfare programs.
- 1.1 billion would be lost in WA economy. Dreamer program increases state revenue by over 2.5 billion per year. Program pays for itself via applicant fees so no taxpayer money lost, just gained.
- Sources: rubberstamppreps.com, immigrationimpact.com, Indivisible Guide
- History of DACA: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/9/5/16236116/daca-history
- Call your Member's of Congress and demand that they include a clean “DREAM Act” (S.1615 / H.R.3440) in any Harvey aid package.
- Call your Member's of Congress and let them know that no budget that includes increases to Trump’s deportation force or any funding for Trump’s mass deportation agenda should get their support, even if that means withholding the votes needed to avert a government shutdown. Tell them you want a federal budget that invests in families, not fear.
- Calls and Tweets to influential lawmakers at dreamacttoolkit.org
- ⅔ of country support the DACA and Dreamers. This is a political move meant to spread even more unrest and fear. Register to vote, register other people to vote, run for office, get involved in local campaigns, activist organizations, political parties. Let’s Get Out the Vote to elect officials that will protect our communities and environment, and improve our economies.
- Talk to your family, friends, neighbors. Write letters to the editor. Volunteer your time or/and money to organizations that bridge and build communities.
- Source: Indivisible Guide
- If DACA Ends: http://remezcla.com/lists/culture/irli-daca-recipients-rights/?rfb